For more information on this topic, please visit Why Worry?
Top 10 Ways to Reduce Holiday Stress
From Halloween until Super Bowl Sunday, the holidays create more opportunities for anxiety to get a foothold than a tile roof makes for Santa’s reindeer. Here are 10 ideas to help you keep your own steady footing during the upcoming holiday season. Also see the attached list “10 Ways to Reduce Stress” designed to assist you with reducing stress both during the holidays and throughout the year.
1. Take good care of yourself. Eat healthfully, get plenty of rest, exercise. Do those things that nurture you.
2. Make lists and set aside specific times to accomplish certain tasks. Prioritize. Consider scratching a few items off your list.
3. Ask for help. It’s more fun to do things together—from decorating the house to wrapping presents.
4. Make a budget and stick to it. No matter what. Let this be the year that you don’t go into debt buying presents.
5. Shop by catalogue. Give gift certificates. Look for ways to make gift giving easier.
6. Share day care arrangements with friends and neighbors when the kids are out of school.
7. Remember to play. Have fun. Share special time with the children or other family members.
8. Make houseguests as self-sufficient as possible. Let them help. Don’t give up your own bed unless you must.
9. Consider alternatives to family gatherings if they cause tension and anxiety. Plan well in advance and avoid last-minute surprises.
10. Take a walk. Breathe in the fresh air. Find a place to be quiet and restful. Go there often.
For more free resources please visit Psychologist Continuing Education