Counselor Ethics Objectives and Outline:
- Describe at least one important concept within the the counseling relationship.
- Explain at least two difficult issues surrounding confidentiality, privileged communication, and privacy
- Describe the scope of the counselor’s professional responsibility.
- Discuss at least one ethical relationship standard with other professionals.
- The Counseling Relationship
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- Professional Responsibility
- Relationships With Other Professionals
- Evaluation, Assessment, and Interpretation
- Supervision, Training, and Teaching
- Research and Publication
- Distance Counseling, Technology, and Social Media
- Resolving Ethical Issues
- Glossary of Terms
Instructors: Nicole Hiltibran, MA, LMFT; Julie Campbell, Phd
The American Counseling Association is a not-for-profit, professional and educational organization that is dedicated to the growth and enhancement of the counseling profession. Founded in 1952, ACA is the world’s largest association exclusively representing professional counselors in various practice settings.
The ACA Code of Ethics (counselor ethics) serves five main purposes: 1. The Code enables the association to clarify to current and future members, and to those served by members, the nature of the ethical responsibilities held in common by its members. 2. The Code helps support the mission of the association. 3. The Code establishes principles that define ethical behavior and best practices of association members. 4. The Code serves as an ethical guide designed to assist members in constructing a professional course of action that best serves those utilizing counseling services and best promotes the values of the counseling profession. 5. The Code serves as the basis for processing of ethical complaints and inquiries initiated against members of the association.
2 hours of the 2 hours may be used towards ethics
Click here to return to Aspira Continuing Education’s Home page of CE/CEUs for MFTs, Social Workers, Professional Counselors and Intern
Professional Counselor Continuing Education