Law and Ethics CE Course – Online CE Course
This Law and Ethics CE course is based upon California law for licensees, interns, and associates in CA. This course may also be taken by licensed professionals in a state other than California, if, they are applying for a license in California or where their state law coincides with California state law.
Law and Ethics CE Course Objectives and Outline:
- Identify at least two legal and ethical issues in counseling including but not limited to professional ethical standards and significant legal considerations.
- Explain at least one key factor in the licensing law and process.
- Describe at least one regulatory law that delineates the profession’s scope of practice, counselor-client privilege, confidentiality, the client dangerous to self or others, treatment of minors with or without parental consent, relationship between practitioner’s sense of self and human values, functions and relationships with other human service providers, strategies for collaboration, and advocacy processes needed to address institutional and social barriers that impeded access, equity, and success for clients.
- Describe at least two HIPAA requirements and standards.
- Discuss at least two unprofessional conduct and negligence behaviors.
- Define at least three best standards of practice.
- Discuss at least two professional ethics concepts.
In addition to the course objectives listed above, this course addresses the following content areas related to law and professional ethics:
- Professional practice issues
- Scope of Practice
- MFT Scope of Practice
- LCSW Scope of Practice
- LPCC Scope of Practice
- Unprofessional Conduct, Negligence, Law, Ethics, and Standard of Care
- Unprofessional Conduct and Negligence
- Summary of Unprofessional Conduct and Negligence
- Standard of Care
- Legal Issues
- Search Warrants
- Exceptions to Confidentiality
- Treatment of Minors
- Sex with Clients
- Record Retention and Storage
- Informed Consent
- HIPAA and Third Party Reimbursement for Mental Health Services
- HIPAA Privacy Rule and Sharing Information Related to Mental Health
- Questions and Answers About HIPAA and Mental Health
- Professional Ethics
- Revised CAMFT Ethical Standards (2019)
- ACA Code of Ethics
- NASW Code of Ethics
- Updated BBS Requirements
- Required Coursework or Supervised Experience: Suicide Risk
- Required Notice to Clients
- New Laws Affecting the Board’s Renewal Process
- Other Law Changes
Instructors: Nicole Hiltibran, MA, LMFT; Julie Campbell, Phd
Author: Nicole Hiltibran, MA LMFT – California Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting Law – CA Department of Social Services: Office of Child Abuse Prevention – Domestic Abuse Late in Life – Department of Justice – US Department of Health and Human Services
Nicole Hiltibran, MA LMFT has been in practice for over 20 years (for more details on Nicole Hiltibran’s credentials view our Principals page). She wrote and compiled the information contained in this course from documents produced by California Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting Law, CA Department of Social Services: Office of Child Abuse Prevention, Domestic Abuse Late in Life, Department of Justice, US Department of Health and Human Services
Click here to return to Aspira Continuing Education’s Home page of CEs for Psychologists, MFTs, Social Workers, Professional Counselors, and SUDC Counselors
You may also be interested in:
HIV and AIDS CE Course
Law, Ethics, ethics ce course, LMFT, mft, lpc, lpcc, LCSW, lsw, CA BBS, online ce/ceus, board approved, mental health ce courses, online ce/ceus, ce/ceus for MFTs, ce courses for counselors, Social Worker continuing education, continuing education units for LPCs, MHC ce/ceus, LCSW, ASW and MFT Intern ce/ceus, Board approved ce/ceus in many states, national board approval ce/ceus, alcohol and drug abuse counselor ce/ceus. See chart below for your state and license.
Aspira Continuing Education has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6416. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Aspira Continuing Education is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.