Crisis and Trauma Counseling Continuing Education Course
Crisis and Trauma Counseling Continuing Education Course Objectives and Outline:
- Explain at least three common causes of crisis and trauma.
- Explain at least one impact of crisis and trauma on youth.
- Define at least three types of crisis and trauma.
- Describe at least one factor that influences human trauma response.
- Discuss the relationship between trauma and mental illness.
- Identify at least two determinants that influence the trauma response.
- Define re-traumatization and identify at least one strategy to prevent it.
- Discuss the impact of culture on crisis and trauma.
- Identify at least two traumatic stress reactions.
- Identify at least two demographic groups who are at higher risk of trauma.
- Describe at least one screening tool.
- Describe at least one screening technique.
- Describe at least two treatment approaches to crisis, trauma, and related common disorders.
- Identify at least one risk factor when providing trauma, grief, and crisis counseling.
- Introduction and Definitions
- Understanding Trauma
- Screening and Assessment
- Family Trauma Assessment
- Crisis and Trauma Treatment Approaches
- Core Elements for Responding to Mental Health Crises
- Crisis and Trauma Counseling Clinical Issues
- Child and Adolescent Exposure to Trauma: Comparative Effectiveness of Interventions
- Disaster Crisis Counseling
- Disaster Phases and Responses
- Disaster Crisis Counseling Techniques
- Culture and Disaster
- Additional Resources
Instructors: Nicole Hiltibran, MA, LMFT; Julie Campbell, Phd
Author: Nicole Hiltibran, MA LMFT – SAMHSA – Department of Health and Human Services
Nicole Hiltibran, MA LMFT has been in practice for over 20 years (for more details on Nicole Hiltibran’s credentials view our Principals page). She wrote and compiled the information contained in this course from documents produced by SAMHSA and the DHHS.
Click here to return to Aspira Continuing Education’s Home page of CE/CEUs for MFTs, Social Workers, Professional Counselors and Interns
BBS, counselor ce, mfts ce, social worker ce, ce, online ce, ce for MFTs, ce courses for counselors, Social Worker ce, continuing education units for LPCs, MHC ce, LCSW, ASW and MFT Intern ce, Board approved ce in many states, national board approval ce, alcohol and drug abuse counselor ce. See chart below for your state and license.
Aspira Continuing Education has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6416. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Aspira Continuing Education is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.